Our community was formed in 2005 when Sr. Ilia Delio and Sr. Lisa Marie Drover responded to the call of the Spirit to fan the flames of fire within. With the help of Father Romano Almagno OFM, we establised ourselves in the Brookland area of Washington, D.C., across from the Franciscan Monastery of the Holy Land. We formed to enkindle Franciscan life for a world in need of hearing the Good News of Jesus Christ.
We live in a world that is radically different from the one Francis and Clare lived in, a world that is complex, pluralistic and evolutionary in nature:
What does it mean to bring the Good News to a world that is still in the process of coming to be?
Who is the Christ for us today?
What do we hope for as Christians?
Francis of Assisi went out to meet people eye to eye, following the footprints of Christ.
What we seek is a way of living religiously in the midst of a secular culture, to live in the world as the place of God’s holiness, and to nurture bonds of relationship in the world that speak to others through the example of our lives, of the Good News of God among us.
Our mission: “To bring the spirit of Saint Francis into the Heart of the World—to make Christ alive.”
- To form a Franciscan community that is grounded in the spirituality of Francis and Clare and to be rooted in the Body of Christ, which is the Church.
- To incorporate the spiritual values of Francis and Clare into a meaningful way of life that speaks to our world today: solidarity with the poor, hospitality, compassion, peacemaking, contemplation and care for creation.
- To live deeply in the mystery of Christ, conscious that our lives are part of Christogenesis or the birthing of Christ in creation.
- To live with an openness of heart and mind oriented towards the future, helping to create the future as the fullness of Christ.
- To nurture community with one another, community with the earth, community with people of other religions, community with people wherever we meet them. To live Christ by living community and to live community by living Christ.
We share the thoughts of Blessed John Paul II who wrote:
We need heralds of the Gospel
Who are experts in humanity,
Who know the depths of the human heart,
Who can share the joys, the hopes,
The agonies, the distress of people
But who are, at the same time,
Contemplatives who have fallen in love
Contact the Sisters at firstname.lastname@example.org